Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Big Lights Will Inspire You

I was crossing 2nd Ave. when it hit me this morning. It was beautifully sunny and my iPod was blasting away as I came to the intersection of 75th and 2nd. A crowd of people surrounded me and as I was watching the fruit stand man across the street rearranging a large pile of bananas and the taxis racing past me, I felt a weird sensation come over me.

"I'm living in Manhattan. I can do absolutely anything."

Weird, I know. I mean I know I live in Manhattan, but most of the time I don't realize I live in Manhattan if that makes any sense. I clearly remember moments experiencing this in London. The first came very early - maybe because it was so different or maybe because I was so excited to be living there.

I can't tell you how many times I've been told by friends back home that they've always wanted to live in Manhattan. Truth is, I never did and living in this city is not always glamorous and non-stop fun. But once you live in a city and start to feel comfortable, you definitely feel empowered. You feel like you are strong enough to survive anything else life will throw at you.

I had forgotten that feeling lately. Standing on that street corner I was reminded of how much I love about living in a city and, right now, those feelings are the only thing holding me back from packing up and moving back home already.


"One hand in the air for the big city, street lights, big dreams all looking pretty..."

No comments: